Tuesday, December 29, 2009

We're home now, but... :)

Hi, there! 30 days is a long time to be gone, and I have a lot of catching up to do. I'll fill ya in a little by little about the trip.

This post has to do with and experience we had after we rented a canoe and a dude to canoe us around:

Ok, so we decided one day to rent a canoe and a dude to row the canoe for a whole day. We were going out on one of the lakes in Uganda called Lake Bunyonyi. VERY beautiful! We were going to do Island to Island preaching. As we were in transit to the first island, we were preaching to the canoe dude.
When we got to the first island, it began to sprinkle. We had a bunch of literature in the canoe. So, he offered to take the literature with him and ask one of the island's residents if we could leave our literature there. The literature was to last the whole day... it needed to be protected. Well, he asked a guy in a house, and the man wanted to know what it was. Our buddy Derek spent the next half hour talking to the man, who later agreed to have the literature stay in his home. As Derek and Jennifer were talking to this man, our canoe guy was listening and growing more and more interested. Also, as they continued the conversation, the village people (not the YMCA people!) started to show up. AND THE KIDS!!! WHEW! After the half hour, we left the house, accompanied by 18 children. Derek had placed there in that one house a quite a bit of literature, including a bunch of "Would you like to know the Truth?" tracts!
So, we kept walking up this hill, and we met MORE children. We ended up with approximately 20 children following us around. They didn't speak English really well, so I couldn't talk to them very well. BUT, a couple spoke a few words, and I showed them Jehovah's name in the Bible. Some of the kids walked around saying "Jehovah" "Jehovah" everywhere. They were a lot of fun.
As we approached the top of a hill where the rest of the village was, we came to a tavern. The tavern was the town meeting place. Derek asked the canoe guy if the guys inside were drunk or not. The Canoe Guy (his name was "Chris", so I'll start calling him Chris. :)) went inside to check, and Chris came back outside and said that we were ok to go in.

On going in, we found no electricty, no real air movement, and about 15 individuals inside. The only light was from the doorway. The room was probably 8 foot by 10 foot or so... But, we had about 20 in the room - many of them smelled of the beer they were drinking. Derek and Jennifer spent a quite a while talking to the people in their language, Lugandan. Carmen and I had NO idea what was going on. :) Sad, but true. Well, an arguement began to break out in that little room. Derek and Jennifer had shown some information from a Ugandan Bible, but some in there didn't speak Lugandan. They wanted to read in their language. Voices raised, and Carmen and I were nervous, not knowing what in the Whirl was going on. Someone left the tavern and brought in another language Bible that the rest of the people could understand. Ahh... now there was peace. :)
The topic of the resurrection came up, and a couple of the women there literally leapt for joy!
Friends, we take that hope for granted sometimes. Do we leap for joy when we think about that hope??
Well, there were a lot of brochure and tract placements, including a few book placements. I talked to a guy that spoke English, and I shared with him some Scriptures and the Bible Teach book. He and I talked for a quite a while. All this time, we still didn't know what effect this was having on Chris...
to be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment